Saturday, May 2, 2015

The Worst Person I Know - May 2, 2015


I Timothy 1:15 “This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief”.

Romans 7:19 “For the good that I would, I do not; but the evil which I would not, that I do.”

Romans 7:24 “Oh, wretched man that I am! Who shall deliver me from this body of death.”

Wow - this is the Apostle Paul speaking; the person who evangelized the known world of his day, who established churches in cities he visited and laid the foundation of Christianity. How could he see himself this way? He had seen the Lord and was personally instructed in the Truth. Seems like everything would be smooth sailing – health, wealth and peace is what the TV preachers tell us – if only we have enough faith.

I walked into my Sunday school class a few weeks ago and said “I am the worst person I know …. and you are the worst person you know”. It’s only within our own thoughts and actions that we see the fruit of the flesh. It’s been said “If you didn’t meet the Devil this morning, you were probably going the same direction he was.” Are you surprised that temptation should come your way? The Evil One has no issue with those on the broad path; it’s the ones who are struggling along the narrow path that he takes exception to.

It seems the things I say I would never do are exactly the places I face temptation. Paul was wrong, I am the Chief of Sinners; I am the Wretched Man. I hate this life subject to the flesh - I’m so pitiful, why can’t I be a better Christian? I hunger for a more spirit filled life; it just seems so useless some times. Here I go in the valley, wallowing in self pity, completely useless in the Kingdom – Satan wins.

But wait – I’m focused on myself, and not on Jesus. He’s already taken care of all this; He’s blessed me.

Matthew 5:6 "Blessed are they who do hunger and thirst for righteousness: for they shall be filled.”

If you’re perfect you won’t hunger and thirst for righteousness (as did our brother Paul). I’m not perfect, but I’m blessed by the King of the Universe. I’m going to keep my eyes on Him and begin the struggle again: pray, read my Bible and fellowship with other believers; other sinners like me.

Lord Jesus,
As we approach your perfection,
We see our depravity more clearly.
Grant that we might live more in the Spirit
and less in the flesh,
And that we may be filled with the righteousness
That you purchased at Calvary.

No comments:

Post a Comment